Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

My house feels like a home when it smells like bacon. 

Since this is really a "hobby" blog and not a sewing blog, I will occasionally share a very favorite recipe. Specifically, as a pregnant lady, you may catch on to whatever I am craving. Today it was "Baked Potato Soup" from my friend, Nicole. It is incredibly delicious!  It is great the night after baked potato bar. That's what we did here, which is why I won't be satisfying this craving till tomorrow. Enjoy!

Baked Potato Soup
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 green onions, chopped
12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
6 baked potatoes, baked, peeled, and cubed
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
8 oz. Sour cream
3/4  tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In a large pot, melt butter, stir in flour; heat and stir until smooth. Gradually add mild, stirring constantly until thickened. Add potatoes and onions. bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted.

PS- I just found out the hard way that this recipe does NOT freeze well.  The taste is still great, but the texture is weird. I think it's either because it's a cream sauce base or because it has russet potatoes in it. Anyone know why? Anyway, eat it while it's fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment