Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken Wild rice soup

I have a good friend here who cooked at least a month's worth of freezer meals in anticipation of her new baby's arrival. She even pre-made her daughter's school lunches. I thought it was awesome! It got me inspired to at least stock up the soup section in my freezer. I love soup, but I really hate almost every canned soup. Plus, when you really need homemade soup is when you probably don't have the energy or time to make it. So, whenever I make soup, I try to make a huge batch, then freeze it flat in quart sized bags in my freezer.

Today was wild rice soup. I started with this recipe. I'll just tell you what I did (or better yet, would do if I hadn't made so many mistakes. Here is the big deal: My husband and kids actually ate and liked the soup!! It doesn't happen very often in my house that either of my kids will touch "adult" food. This one was a winner! (okay, so my older daughter would only eat the carrots and chicken, but that's about as much as I could expect from her.)

Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:
8 carrots, peeled and sliced
5 stalks celery, sliced
1 onion, chopped
6 oz chopped mushrooms
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed small and cooked
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup wild rice, uncooked
salt **
pepper**
curry powder**
bay leaf
rosemary **
thyme**
4 T cornstarch*
2 cups half and half

Instructions: Throw everything except the half and half and cornstarch into the crock pot. Mix up the cornstarch with water, a teeny bit at a time, to make the rue. Dump in the rue. Cook all day on low heat. Stir in the half and half about an hour before serving. Enjoy.
*Um, so I added only about 2T of cornstarch, and I forgot to add it till the end, so mine was pretty thin. This amount is what I will try next time.
**I just sprinkled some in of each without measuring. I didn't really put in that much, though, and the soup is still pretty flavorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment